traveling in kazakhstan
Here are all our posts with all the information you need to know about Traveling in Kazakhstan independently: from how to prepare yourself to the best places to visit, top things to do, travel itineraries, and plenty of more practical travel info!
Scroll down to find all our posts about Kazakhstan or just keep reading for a handy overview.
Kazakhstan is a republic in Central Asia. It’s the 9th biggest country and is the largest landlocked country in the world. It’s a multinational state, which is inhabited by 17.8 million people, belonging to more than 120 nationalities!
Kazakhstan is known as the land of steppes but has in reality a quite diverse nature: from deserts and flat steppes in the West, Center, and South of the country to mountains and lush landscapes in the Southeast and North!
It’s a country of surprises that any adventurous backpacker will appreciate.
GENERAL INFO ABOUT KAZAKHSTAN
- Capital: Nur Sultan (previously known as Astana)
- International airports: Almaty Airport (ALA), Nur Sultan Airport (TSE) and Shymkent Airport (CIT).
- Currency: Kazakhstani Tenge (KZT)
- Official languages: Kazakh and Russian
- Main religion: Islam (70%)
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU TRAVEL TO KAZAKHSTAN
We have some very handy and comprehensive posts that you should check out if you want to prepare yourself well for your trip to Kazakhstan.
For information about the visa, how to get to Kazakhstan, the best time to visit, how to get around the country by public transportation, where to stay,… read:
We also recommend you read a bit more about our safety tips for Kazakhstan
Are you planning to travel overland between the Central Asian countries? Then these following guides will come in handy:
PLAN YOUR TRIP – WHERE TO GO IN KAZAKHSTAN
Here’s an overview of our guides and posts that will help you plan your trip to Kyrgyzstan.
Where to go in Kazakhstan:
- The 26 most beautiful and interesting places to visit in Kazakhstan
- Blown away by the beauty of Charyn Canyon – A complete travel guide
- The most beautiful lakes of Kazakhstan: Kolsai Lake and Lake Kaindy
- Discovering Turkestan, the spiritual center of Kazakhstan
- Visiting the ship graveyard of the Aral Sea in Kazakhstan
PLAN YOUR TRIP – TOP THINGS TO DO IN KAZAKHSTAN
Kazakhstan is a country that has so much to offer when it comes to nature and adventure!
Hiking & Trekking in Kazakhstan:
- The 5 best and most beautiful hikes in the mountains near Almaty
- The Ultimate Guide to Trekking in the North Tian Shan Mountains